Lighter hair is all the trend these days. There are so many different reasons why people want lighter hair. It could be for a change in look to feel like a new person, an effort to look “cool,” or just because they consider themselves “looking better” with different hair colors. Whatever the reason, a different color of hair can make you happier and more noticeable.
The most common way to lighten hair is through the use of artificial hair-lightening products. However, bleach is one of the components that make up these products. Bleach is absolutely bad for your hair! While bleach is still one of the fastest and simplest ways of removing the pigment from your hair strands, it is also harsh on the hair.
The effects of bleach on the hair can be devastating and far-reaching. After washing out the bleach, your hair strands become lighter and weaker. You begin to experience hair breakage, frizziness, and dryness.
Thankfully, a method can lighten your hair without the adverse effects of artificial hair-lightening products. The solution is natural hair lightening.
Natural Hair Lightening
Natural hair lightening is the use of nature’s products as agents to lighten your hair. The natural hair lightening agents include apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, chamomile tea, cinnamon and lemons, peroxide, henna, honey and olive oil, salt, etc. These natural agents will lighten your hair naturally and gently with little or no damage to your hair.
This is one of the most popular methods. It produces a warm, subtle, lightened color effect on the hair. You can also use it to produce highlights.
You can use factory-produced lemon juice, but the juice from freshly squeezed lemons is much more potent. Also, be sure to use a lot of conditioner on your hair after due to lemon juice’s acidic nature.
- Squeeze the lemon to get the juice.
- Mix the lemon juice with water in equal parts.
- Apply the mixture to your hair. If you want total lightning, apply it fully.
- If you want highlights, apply them to the parts you want to be highlighted.
- Step into the sun for 30 to 60 minutes.
- Rinse out the mixture.
Chamomile is also a very popular method of hair lightening that gives your hair a subtle golden tint. Chamomile tea works best if you already have light hair. It does not affect darker hair. It is also best not to use hair that has been previously dyed.
- Boil about five tea bags in water for 30 minutes.
- Take out five tablespoons and add them to your conditioner.
- Use the pure tea part to wash your hair like shampoo, then use the mixed part as a conditioner.
- Let it sit in for a few minutes before rinsing it off, then go under the sun to dry it.
Honey is a great multi-use substance. Honey contains the amount of hydrogen peroxide. That is what lightens the hair. You can use honey in a mixture with other natural agents like cinnamon, olive oil, or even your conditioner.
- For raw honey, simply mix one or two teaspoons of honey in water.
- Apply the honey-water mixture to your hair and let it sit in for a few hours.
- Then rinse.
You can use baking soda as a shampoo and lighten your hair. It might be best to repeat this method weekly or even daily until you get your desired shade because it only had a subtle effect. If you choose to use baking soda as your shampoo regularly, note that your hair will keep getting lighter.
- Mix about ¼ or ⅓ cups of baking soda with a small amount of water.
- Mix it into a paste.
- Apply the paste on your hair instead of a shampoo.
- Rinse out the paste.
- Wash your hair with a normal conditioner.
Apple Cider Vinegar
Vinegar is another multi-use product. Vinegar can lighten your hair as well as clean it. Apple cider vinegar washes out chemical buildup from hair products out of your hair. Use it regularly as a shampoo to rinse out your hair.
- Mix a cup of water with a quarter cup of vinegar.
- Apply the vinegar mixture to your hair after shampooing and conditioning.
- Leave the mixture in for 20 minutes, then rinse.
You can use cinnamon in a mixture or as a stand-alone for hair lightening. Not only will it leave a nice feel, but it also has a nice smell.
- Mix cinnamon with your conditioner.
- Measure out 3 to 4 tablespoons of ground cinnamon.
- Mix it with the same amount of conditioner.
- Apply the mixture to your hair and spread it with a comb.
- Cover it with a plastic wrap or shower cap as you go to bed.
- Shampoo and conditioner the hair in the morning.
Salt can lighten your hair. Anyone who has spent time in the ocean will tell you that. You can use salt water right in your home to lighten your hair.
- Mix salt in water in a 1 to 5 ratio.
- Pour the mixture on your hair.
- Leave it to sit in your hair for about 15 minutes.
- Rinse your hair with fresh water.
Alternatively, mix half a cup of sea salt with a small amount of water to form a paste. Add water to your hair. Apply the paste to your wet hair. Let it dry in the sun. Then rinse with water.
You can use Vitamin C to lighten your hair.
- Get some vitamin C tablets.
- Crush about 8 or 9 C tablets into powder.
- Mix the powder with your shampoo.
- Wash your hair with the shampoo and Vitamin C mixture. Your hair will begin to lighten slowly.
Alternatively, use Vitamin C to make a hair mask.
- Crush 15 or 20 tablets into powder.
- Mix the powder with some anti-dandruff shampoo into a paste.
- Apply the paste to your hair.
- Cover your hair with a plastic wrap or shower cap.
- Leave in the mixture for between 1 and 2 hours.
- Then rinse it off.
The sun is the easiest way to lighten your hair. Simply spending a lot of time in the sun or even adding a few mixtures to fasten the process will have tremendous lightning effects on your hair. However, note that the sun can burn your skin, so be sure to apply some sunscreen and wear protective clothing.
Natural hair lightening methods are not as potent as using bleach. It gives a more subtle and warm color tone. However, it delivers result. So, if you decide to opt for it, you can choose any of the above options.