Hair coloring has been a popular practice for centuries, with people experimenting with different methods to achieve their desired look. The practice of highlighting hair, in particular, can be traced back to Ancient Greece around 4 B.C. During that time, people would use a combination of olive oil, pollen, and gold flakes and spend hours in the sun to lighten their hair.
Fast forward to the present day, there are numerous hair coloring options available, including rapid bleaching kits that can be found in local drug or beauty supply stores. These kits can chemically achieve hair lightening quickly and efficiently. However, the use of chemicals in these kits can have certain risks associated with them.
One of the primary risks is the potential for hair damage. The chemicals in the kits can make hair stiff, brittle, and prone to breakage. Additionally, using chemicals on the scalp can lead to skin irritation or even eczema. In some cases, the chemicals can also cause irritation of the airways or worsen asthma symptoms. Furthermore, certain studies have linked the use of hair dyes to an increased risk of certain types of cancer, such as bladder, breast, and leukemia. Although more research is needed to confirm these findings in humans, it is still a concerning possibility.
Despite these risks, many people still opt for rapid bleaching kits to achieve their desired hair color. However, it is worth noting that there are more natural methods available to lighten or highlight hair. These options involve fewer chemicals, making them less likely to cause hair damage or skin irritation. Additionally, many of these natural methods are more affordable than buying hair dye kits. In this article, we will discuss the different natural hair lighteners and the benefits.
You may also be interested: How to Untangle Hair Without Damaging it
Natural Hair Lighteners
Many people are seeking more natural ways to dye or highlight their hair, and there are several options available that can achieve this without the use of harsh chemicals. Some popular natural ingredients for coloring hair include the following:
Lemon juice is a popular natural ingredient for lightening hair. The citric acid in lemon juice can help to break down the melanin in the hair, which can result in a lighter color. To use lemon juice, simply squeeze the juice from a lemon and mix it with water in a spray bottle. Apply the mixture to your hair and sit in the sun for a few hours to allow the lemon juice to take effect.
Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is another popular natural ingredient for hair coloring. It can help to remove buildup from hair and restore its natural shine. To use apple cider vinegar as a hair rinse, mix one part apple cider vinegar with one part water and apply it to your hair after shampooing. Leave it on for a few minutes before rinsing it out with water.
Hydrogen peroxide is a common ingredient in hair dye kits, but it can also be used on its own as a natural hair dye. It can lighten hair by breaking down the melanin in the hair shaft. However, it is important to note that hydrogen peroxide can also cause hair damage if used too frequently or in high concentrations. To use hydrogen peroxide, mix it with water in a spray bottle and apply it to your hair. Leave it on for 30 minutes before rinsing it out with water.
Honey is a natural ingredient that can help to lighten hair while also conditioning it. To use honey as a hair lightener, mix it with water and apply it to your hair. Leave it on for a few hours before rinsing it out with water. Honey can also be mixed with other natural ingredients, such as cinnamon or coconut oil, to create a hair mask that can help to lighten and condition hair.
Chamomile tea is another natural ingredient that can be used to lighten hair. It contains a natural chemical called apigenin, which can help to lighten hair over time. To use chamomile tea, brew a strong cup of tea and allow it to cool. Apply the tea to your hair and leave it on for a few hours before rinsing it out with water. Repeat this process regularly to achieve the desired level of lightning.
Exposing your hair to sunlight can naturally lighten it by one or two shades. The UV rays from the sun have a bleaching effect on the hair, which is more noticeable for those with naturally blonde hair. If you desire to achieve a subtle highlight or a slight hair lightening, simply leave your hair down while soaking up the sun on the beach.
Benefits Of Using Natural Hair Lighteners
- Less exposure to harsh chemicals: Traditional hair lightening or coloring products often contain harsh chemicals that can damage hair and irritate the scalp. Natural hair lighteners offer a gentler alternative that can reduce the risk of chemical exposure.
- Lower cost: Many natural hair lightening methods can be made with ingredients that are readily available at home or at a lower cost compared to traditional hair lightening products.
- Fewer opportunities for skin irritation: Some people may experience skin irritation or allergic reactions to traditional hair lightening products. Natural hair lighteners may be less likely to cause skin irritation or allergic reactions.
- Improved hair health: Some natural hair lighteners, such as honey and chamomile tea, have conditioning properties that can help to improve the health of the hair, leaving it soft and shiny.
- More customization: Natural hair lighteners can be adjusted to achieve the desired level of lightening or highlight. This allows for more customization and control over the final result.
- More eco-friendly: Traditional hair lightening or coloring products often contain chemicals that can harm the environment. Natural hair lighteners, on the other hand, may be more eco-friendly and sustainable.
In conclusion, there are several natural ingredients that can be used to dye or highlight hair without the use of harsh chemicals. It is important to note that these natural ingredients may take longer to achieve the desired result, but they are generally considered safer and more affordable alternatives to traditional hair dye kits.