Ahead of hair has long been among the few things money can’t buy for men and women fighting hair loss. Studies show that 65% of all men will experience hair loss or thinning before the age of 50, and 50% of women will experience some form of hair loss before the age of 65.
Surgery to treat hair loss is becoming a thing in some men today. Today, hair restoration surgery has become one of the most innovative and exciting surgical fields in aesthetic surgery. Its ability to give a natural look has made many balding men and women who know about this great innovative idea opt for this solution.
Due to the immense market for products like hair care cosmetics, scalp massagers, laser combs, shampoos, and their likes which has no proven efficacy except the “temporary” increase in the volume of existing hair, hair transplantation is not known as it ought to be.
What is “hair graft”?
Hair Graft or just Grafting is a type of hair transplant surgery. There are different types of hair transplants like; Scalp reduction, Flap Surgery, Tissue Expansion, and Grafting being. However, grafting is the most commonly used type of hair transplant.
Hair grafting involves cutting into tiny pieces the scalp containing healthy hair, mostly referred to as the “donor site,” and transplanting to the bald or balding part referred to as the “recipient site.”
Even though some hair loss is genetically gotten, some individuals get theirs from unexpected and unforeseen circumstances. This brings about, in most cases, self-esteem issues since in our society today, human hair is seen as a mini-organ that serves to make one stand out beautifully.
Here are some causes of permanent and temporary hair loss
– Alopecia Areata (An autoimmune disease that attacks hair follicles)
– Androgenic Alopecia (Baldness)
– Thyroid Disease or Hormonal imbalance
– Traumatic Injuries or burns
– Stress, Illness, Overuse of certain products, diets, and intake of certain medications.
There are many benefits of Hair Grafting and would greatly help some individuals who have long needed hair or have been suffering constant hair loss or permanent hair loss.
With the great innovation of hair transplant, an alopecia patient has high hopes of seeing a body filled with hair again that has little or no side effect on the patient’s immune system. A patient who lost his hair through burns can still grow it back properly after a hair transplant.
Hair grafting gives that natural look that can be styled, cut, or colored. Most Patients report looking more attractive and confident after the surgery is done. It is also known to give a permanent and reliable solution making the affected areas never experience hair loss again.
Hair Transplant using grafting is most often a one-time procedure that wouldn’t require the patient to face recurring costs. Its low maintenance is of great benefit since it can be treated just like the rest of the hair with no needed shampoo or lotion for maintenance.
Other Benefits of Hair Grafting
Hair grafting has several other benefits that make it a preferred choice for both doctors and patients. Some basic benefits of hair grafting transplant are given below:
– It is a painless hair transplant procedure.
– It does not leave any visible scars on the scalp.
– Surgery duration is lesser than other transplantation methods.
– The recovery and healing period are quick and pain-free.
– It provides permanent and natural results
– Body hair can also be used in this procedure if patients have less donor hair supply on the scalp.
– Relocation has no results cause it is protected
– More importantly, is the confidence it builds
– It is also known that since hair helps beautify an individual, it also most likely helps to make the patient look younger than he would be looking without hair
The Post-Surgery Instructions
There are also precautions and steps to take after a successful surgery has been carried out for the hair transplant. This would give the patient a permanent result and help the healing process faster.
The most significant thing to consider is probably to use the right medications recommended by the doctor to strengthen the patient’s newly-implanted hair and make it resistant to hair loss. After a dermatologist’s approval, some medications and shampoos can be used according to the patient’s preferences, health, and hair condition.
Considering the sensitivity of the surgery area and the possible wounds in the donor and recipient areas, choosing the right medicines and hair care products has a great effect on faster recovery after a hair transplant. In addition, the drugs to be used after hair transplant must have healing and hair growth stimulating effects.
Steps to be taken after the hair transplant might include;
– Using only medications prescribed by the surgeon after the procedure
– Avoiding taking showers for a few days after surgery is done
– When allowed to take a shower, use only shampoos prescribed or recommended by the doctor
– Avoiding putting lots of pressure while washing
– Avoiding unnecessary touches or inching of the affected area/s
– Limiting daily activities that can cause sweats since sweats are harmful to the transplanted hair
– Covering hair or scalp when going out to avoid direct sun exposure
– Increasing intake of healthy foods containing essential nutrients like vitamins, minerals, or irons
– Antioxidant foods like tomatoes, blueberries, peppers, etc. are also very good to improve the proper healing of the affected area
– Avoiding alcohol is also very necessary
– Of course, regular intake of water and liquids like healthy shakes and smoothies would be of great help too
– After hair growth becomes obvious, the surgeon would most likely recommend massages
– Massages should be done with essential oils like; rosemary, sage, peppermint, and the likes as recommended by the surgeon
– These essential oils help in stimulating the process of new hair growth
Generally, it is widely believed that the aesthetics of getting a hair graft is solely limited to the surgical procedure. However, the post-hair above graft care has repositioned the narrative. Getting a hair graft surgery is one thing, maintaining the hair after the surgical procedure is something important and different entirely.